Sunday, May 13, 2012

Technological Troglodytism

I think a person is pretty much doomed when it comes to keeping up with the latest things. I think it is perfectly natural to be less interested in what someone younger is into, after all one feels this way at age 10 regarding what the 6 year-olds might be up to. Once you get just a bit long in the tooth, you start to view much of technological innovation this way, reserving your involvement to what seems to matter for your daily life. At a certain point, you begin to realize this might make you seem a bit weird to much of the population. Possibly even as a reaction to that, you keep up a bit, but considering the pace of it, what are the chances of being up on it all?


Yes, sometimes it comes down to outright orneriness. When it comes to smartphones and I-pods, it is more of a matter for me of questioning whether I want to invest time and money. But for me anyway, when it comes to Facebook, Twitter, and the like there just seems to be too much contempt for it in my soul. I hear that one of the secrets to the success of Facebook is that you can click on your "likes" and that really 'does it' for people. 


Really?


Don't get me started on Twitter. 


So I apologize, many friends and family members are into these things, and that certainly should give me pause. But it doesnt, other than to say I am not trying to insult anyone and concede I am not being fair. However, you can pretty much count on me just not participating. I started with Facebook and have a user and password saved somewhere, but I got turned off immediately... I think it was instantly evident privacy problems that did it. 


I am a little ashamed to have to tell you I delayed for nearly a year after getting a new one to learn how to get pictures off the cellphone. The turkey I bagged finally motivated me enough and now I am definitely chagrined about how easy it is [I gave up too easily after first going about it the wrong way]. 


So, anyway, you might get treated to a few more pictures now. Here is one of Russell hunting turkeys, using a call and listening for gobbles. I'll let you speculate whether it is fair to put this picture in this post, considering how I have titled it. But I think it has been a while since we've had a picture of him. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might not believe it, but I'm in the same boat; unable to keep up with what's popular and quick to hate on it. I've never been an early adopter and need to see real use for something before I subscribe to it, unlike many people who try stuff out immediately in order to see whether they like it. I'd like to say it's because I have better things to do with my time than try every new internet fashion but it's probably just orneriness.

Yes I use Twitter, but I don't use FourSquare, Pinterest, Instagram, or Google Plus, all popular social apps right now. I will remind troglodytes not to hate on Vehicles for communication, which is what most of the Internet is for.

If you asked a troglodyte to check out the telephone, they might say "My wife able to bug me at work all day? No thanks!" Television, you'd get "12 channels of home shopping networks?? I don't want any part of this garbage!" on Email: "I don't want to get spammed all day!". Same with Twitter: "I don't want to hear about some celebrity's first world problems!" Or Instagram: "I don't want to see photos of every tween's feet!" But if you look past how Most People use it, which you probably won't appreciate, and understand how it can be useful to you and your social circle, that's what technology should be about and how you should take advantage of it. There are definitely people who chase Trends (see: The Media) and put a bad taste in our mouth about it, but I'll remind everyone that it's not the technology that you're bothered by, it's certain people's overuse of it.
And there's specific demographics that use different services. China is crazy about QQ, an IM service I'd never heard of, and will likely never use, because my social circle isn't on it. Sometimes we're stuck with the platforms that our peers use. I try to stay platform independent; I use twitter for microblogging and livejournal for blogging because they don't require user accounts to read my posts. There's no necessity for others to Buy In to the platform like on many social networking sites, but there's also a lack of privacy when everything's publicly accessible. There's also sometimes a learning curve with new platforms and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go through those (Facebook is the third iteration of The Hot Social Network, when will there be a fourth to move to?).

Carlw4514 said...

Interesting!

Yes, the learning curve is a killer, glad to hear someone younger can feel that way too.

Anonymous said...

Great insights from both of you! I hope that Ethan and Louise read these because we have been emailing about this subject. I will try to remember to send a video that Ethan sent me.

Linda just bought a new phone, as well as the fellow who mows my lawn. Watching them struggle with the new options (Linda's is a real low tech model) convinces me that I want to avoid this as long as possible. For example, she cannot even figure out how to answer a call when it rings. This is no reflection on her- there are virtually no instructions that came with it. I will stick with my old flip phone - it rings and I flip it open and say "hello". I will use the flip phone for voice communication (and txt mess) and the computer for more sophisticated digital communication.

-F

Anonymous said...

and while we are on this subject...

We just purchased all new kitchen appliances. Some of these could have been purchased with wi-fi capability. For example, I am not sure, but I may have purchased a "Google enabled" refrigerator. We didn't pay any attention to this because we were interested in other features and didn't care about accessing the World Wide Web from a kitchen appliance.

We do have a new Sony LED TV which is Google enabled, and that has been a lot of fun. I get that. But a refrigerator?!? I suppose one might be in the kitchen and decide to update a Facebook page? Or browse for recipes? Or watch a movie?

-F

L said...

@crash: Holy random capitalization, Batman!

@carl: I have recently been increasingly dissatisfied with social networking. Although it's good to see people's pictures, etc., I find the interactions are pretty superficial and no substitute for face to face interactions. Most of the people I do things with don't contact each other by Facebook anyway -- text message is the way to go.

I find it interesting that people who aren't on Facebook assume that there is a lot going on there that they don't know about. While for some people that may be true, that is not the case for me. Mom signed up for Facebook under the assumption that she would know more about what Abbie and I are doing, but I think she's been disappointed to find out how infrequently we update it.

I won't deactivate my Facebook account, simply because I can use it to contact people I don't communicate with on a regular basis, but I find myself doing less and less on there. Ethan is considering deactivating his account all together.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that people who were active on Facebook a year ago are less so. It's useful for some things - like pictures - but as a medium for consistent communication, not so much. Do like your posts L so keep in touch!

SFW

Marsha Schmidt said...

Let me just chime in although I know I am late that I do not use any of the social media either. Heck, I don't even use a cellphone. It is never charged. My husband finds it highly frustrating and wants to text me. But I have peopled trained not to text me. The message on my cellphone says all ye who have entered this voice mail, give up all hope. If they want me, call me on my home phone or email me. Otherwise, you are out of luck.

A blog and email is as good as it gets for me although some people tell me that I would be a great person to follow on Twitter. I guess my random thoughts would make hilarious tweets. Honestly, for me, it is a matter of time. I can barely keep up with my own life. But my retired sisters, they are totally into facebook, pinterest and the rest.

One thing Facebook has done for me is divert all those folks who used to include me in their mass emailings of those emails that circulate on the internet. I rarely hear from any of those folks anymore and I can only assume that they have moved on to Facebook and I am out of the loop. Hooray!!!