Thursday, April 30, 2009

Modern Conundrums

Looks like I will not be able to resolve a conflict between not wanting to join in with the modern"throw-away" society and not wanting to waste money. I have a really great pocket size Leatherman-type tool that someone gave me; one of the things that folds away is a tiny flashlight. The guy who gave it to me bought a dozen or so real cheap, and it's clear now what the reason might be: after practically no use at all the flashlight no longer works! To make a long story short, went to Radio Shack [which btw always seems to have any battery you can dream up] and discovered that to replace the 4 tiny batteries inside, it would cost me $20. I can buy a new tool for $10 at a hardware store.

Modern times indeed. I can't make myself into a fool that would buy batteries that cost more than a new tool, nor can I make myself buy a new tool when I have a perfectly good old one that just needs batteries.

*Sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your only mistake was going to radio shack. it's a great example of how overpriced they are. where to buy, i'm not quite sure. i'd try batteries plus or an online retailer.

Carlw4514 said...

thanks!

I will only defend them in that they never seem to fail to have batteries of any kind, but I will try the others.

Carlw4514 said...

my God! looks like a batteries plus store right in my neighborhood! thanks again